Re: Squid & Netscape Proxy

From: Tom Minchin <tom@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 22:19:14 +1100 (EST)

> Irvine> Hi All I am running Squid 1.1.4 here and have specified a
> Irvine> local ISP's Squid to be our parent.
> Irvine> Our own ISP is running Netscape Proxy however and if I specify
> Irvine> it as a parent about 10 minutes after starting Squid it says
> Irvine> it has detected a dead parent (morbid innit?)
>
> This is interesting. The UK National Cache currently runs Netscape
> Proxy (I'm in the process of planning a possible change to Squid). We
> have a monitoring script that checks each machine every 5 minutes to
> see that the cache is OK. We frequently get errors stating that
> requests timed out at 600 seconds (10 minutes). It looks like there's
> some sort of problem in Netscape proxy, and we aren't the only people
> to experience it.

Netscape Proxy doesn't support ICP (nor will will it - note this is a challenge
to their developers!).

To hook up a Squid proxy to a Netscape proxy, use single_parent_bypass on
(this only works if Squid has one parent which is the NS proxy server).

If you're part of a peering scheme, having multiple parents, you can use
the no-query option (which isn't crash hot with NS proxy).

tom@iacom.com.au