Re: Directions for the NOVM version

From: Miguel A.L. Paraz <map@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 19:37:44 -0800 (GMT+8)

Hi,

Duane Wessels wrote:
> There was quite a bit of code changed (and thrown out too!).
> Making it a runtime option will be difficult. The only
> halfway decent argument I've heard for keeping a memory-based
> version is some people run on old hardware with slow disks.
>
> If we ever get around to a total rewrite, then it may be feasible
> to have a dual-storage system. But I think the current code makes
> this too difficult. Although with CVS its not unreasonable to
> maintain a brach version.

Why not make the NOVM version - with its "socket freeze" error -
Squid 1.2 alpha? Being "alpha" would make it clear that it's more
efficient, though buggy, and folks who wish to stay away from debug
traces and core dumps better keep to 1.1.

--
miguel a.l. paraz  <map@iphil.net>              |  pgp key id: 0x43F0D011
iphil communications, makati city, philippines  |  <http://www.iphil.net>