Re: Passthrough TCP/IP address

From: Mark Visser <mark@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 01:15:05 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 28 Jan 1997, Simon Amor wrote:

> On Jan 28, Mark Visser wrote:
> > On Wed, 22 Jan 1997, Duane Wessels wrote:
> > >
> > > X-Forwarded-For request header
> > > ==============================================================================
> > > Squid used to add a request header called "Forwarded" which appeared
> > > in some early HTTP/1.1 draft documents. This header had the format
> > >
> > > Forwarded: by cache-host for client-address
> >
> > Sorry..i'm not running squid for such a long time (just 4 weeks now), but
> > we have some protected pages on WWW (protected by iprange), and now
> > ..since people are using the proxyserver, they are always denied access,
> > because the adress the www server gets is the ipadress of the proxyserver,
> > squid, and not the adress of the 'real asker'.
> >
> > So...how do i implement this..that squid sends out the right ipno ?..or is
> > this behaviour normal and should i find another solution ?
>
> I think what Mark is talking about is making the connection to the
> web server appear to come from not the IP address of the web cache
> but of the original client. This is not really possible so I would
> recommend disabling the use of the proxy for accesses to the pages
> which are protected.
>
> Use a proxy auto-configuration script or just enter the web server's
> name into the 'No proxy for' box in the browser (assuming it has one)

Ok...that's one solution, but...when there are a lot of servers with such
ip protected pages, you cannot exclude them all...that was the problem. I
already thought of excluding certain adresses from the proxy. And now when
i read about the X-Forwarder-For header..i thought it might be possible to
let everything go through the cache, will the header preserves the
original ip-adress somehow...

Mark

Mark Visser | Student Civiele Technologie & Management
Calslaan 26 - 31 | E-mail: mark@cal026031.student.utwente.nl
7522 MC Enschede | SNT-mail: mark@snt.student.utwente.nl
Telephone: 053-4895038 |
Warning: You can get rid of all the bugs by disabling them from the main menu.