Re: (offtopic) Re: Ethernet Cards for Linux.

From: Dave Newbold <dmn@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 19:00:14 +0000 (GMT)

On Wed, 29 Jan 1997, Roberto Lumbreras Pastor wrote:

> We are using here some 3c590 cards with Linux and we've had lots of
> problems with high load. Now they work fine for me, with version
> v0.30c-all of the driver, but lots of people are running that driver
> with other 3com cards 3c595, 3c9*, etc, with lots of problems (suddenly
> network stops working at all).

There is a "well known" bug in the firmware on some of these cards, which
results in chaos at high loads. If you have a later revision of the card,
they work superbly. I set up a high-load firewall machine with three of
these cards some time ago... 0 packets dropped on any cards after three
weeks uptime! The 3c9* cards have a different driver, which is available
in the latest versions of the 2.0.? kernel.

  Dave