Re: How to check if squid is alive ?

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 97 18:11:56 +0100

On Saturday 8 February 97, at 0 h 10, the keyboard of Walter Klomp
<wklomp@swiftech.com.sg> wrote:

> This is probably a very simple one. How can I check from a remote unix box if
 my proxy server is still alive. I know I can use ping, but that won't
tell me
if squid is responding. I know squid comes with a program called client,
but I
don't know how to use it, neither is there any manual for it.

client can probably be used (it only has to return a proper exit code).

I use echoping for that purpose :

#!/bin/csh -f

# Select an URL which has a good chance of being in the cache and whose
# Web server is reliable.
set URL=http://www.pasteur.fr/

echoping -h $URL $1
if (! $status) then
        echo $1 runs fine
else
        echo $1 has problems
endif

---
% test-proxy cache.cnrs.fr:3128
Elapsed time: 2.966006 seconds
cache.cnrs.fr:3128 runs fine
% test-proxy cache.cnrs.fr:3129
Can't connect to server (Connection refused)
cache.cnrs.fr:3129 has problems.

---
ftp://ftp.pasteur.fr/pub/Network/echoping