disk layout + performance

From: Matthew Flanagan <mpf@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 1997 20:04:10 +1100

I'm in the process of setting up a new cache with 24GB (6 x 4GB disks). The
cache host is a Sun Sparc20 with 256MB RAM, 2MB NVRAM and is running
Solaris 2.5. I was wondering what would be the best way to configure this
cache for optimum performance. Should I just put multiple cache_dir lines
in squid.conf?
Or should I use something like Sun's Online DiskSuite to concatenate the
disks into one big disk?

I expect this cache to be fairly busy as it will be the parent for a number
of organisation level caches across the whole state. In the not too distant
future (june 97) it will most likely become a sibling of a national caching
structure.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

--
Matthew Flanagan                         mpf@uts.edu.au
Network Administrator - Information Technology Division