Re: Faster analyzing tools needed

From: Hans Verbrugge <hans@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 10:59:25 +0100

  the last week I played around with the Squid logging analysis tools but
  most of them are really unusable because they are too slow.
  Example I tried pwebstats 1.0 with the squid logs of one month:

  -rw------- 1 www www 22124179 Feb 17 13:59 cache.convert
  -rw------- 1 www www 51150544 Feb 17 13:59 proxy.convert

  pwebstats needed about 6 hours on a Sparc 20 (2 CPUs) with 384 MB RAM, and
  1 GB Swap. The main reason might be Perl however I'm not really sure.
  Are there any better(faster) tools available ?

We experienced the same thing using the tools from Duane
Wessels. Parsing a 40Mb+ logfile took 6 hours. However, most of
the time was spended on hostnamelookups and creating assoc
arrays for them, so we decided to use a

        client_netmask 255.255.255.0

in squid's configfile.

You miss all hostnames in the logging analysis, but it will run
much faster. 15 minutes actualy.

- hans