Virtual Hosting with HTTPD-Accel Mode (1.1.6) not OK

From: Samer Bohsali <sbohsali@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 1997 19:10:29 +0200

Hi All,
I've been using Squid as a caching proxy since ver 1.0.18 and it's working beautifully.
I'm now trying to use Squid 1.1.6 (Solaris 2.5) as an httpd accelarator. This the setup

[Client Machine ] [Sun SPARC ] [ Real web server ]
[Running Netscape ] --> [Running Squid in ] --> [ Running Apache 1.1 ]
[ ] [httpd-accel mode ] [ on Linux 2.0.25 ]

The Apache Web Server is hosting many domains (e.g, one.company.com, two.company.com) using single-IP virtual hosting (supported by Apache 1.1).
The client machines are pointed to a DNS server that returns the IP of the Sun machine when querying one.company.com and two.company.com. Only the Sun machine knows where the real servers are (nslookup of *.company.com on the Sun machine returns the IP of the Apache machine).
Normal Httpd-Accel functions are working fine. However, Virtual host httpd-acceleration is not working.

* When using the -V command line parameter, Squid connects to the LOCAL web server on the SUN machine when one.company.com or two.company.com are requested from the client machine!!! I've set "httpd_accel virtual 80" and "httpd_accel_uses_host_header on/off". Didn't work! I've also tried "httpd_accel linux.mydomain.com 80". Same problem. The access.log file shows:

856808384.494 646 194.126.34.40 TCP_IMS_HIT/304 158 GET http://ip.of.sun.machine/icons/folder
.gif - NONE/- -

* Without the -V command line parameter, Squid only returns the main web site on the Apache server, whether requested for one.company.com or two.company.com. (all virtually hosted site do not appear). However, the access.log shows the fully FQDN of the requested machine:

856808961.575 119 194.126.34.40 TCP_HIT/200 2500 GET http://one.company.com/images/help.gif -
 NONE/- image/gif

What am I doing wrong? I mean there are only a few parameters to play with in httpd-accel mode (I've set httpd_accel_uses_host_header on)... . Any ideas?

TIA.

Samer.
Samer Bohsali | Tel: 961-1-744101
Network Manager | Fax: 961-1-744102