Re: Two Squids Possible ?

From: Henny Bekker <H.Bekker@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 10:58:48 +0100 (MET)

Dear all,

> > > I'd like to know if it is possible to have two proxy on two machines...
> > > that runs together (on for production and one in backup).
> > > In fact I'd like to have a rescue proxy in the case the principal fails
> >
> > There are a couple of ways to do this - one is to use a Cisco Local
> > Director, and sit it in front of a couple of boxes, it loadshares,
> > switches over if one fails, that sort of thing. proxy.connect.com.au
> > does this. Another way, if your clients are using Netscape, is to build
> > a proxy autoconfig file that does this. I have no idea whether other
> > browsers support this. (Wasn't there going to be an Internet Explorer
> > for Unix released?)
>
> This might be a solution too. However Netscape only reads the proxy
> autoconfig file at start. So the user must explictly reload the proxy
> autoconfig file. Because users are mostly stupid that's a bad solution :-)

Hmmm.. I though the the auto configure option in Netscape will check
periodically if the first assigned proxy-server is available again in case
of a previous failure. It will switch to alternative proxy-servers in case
of a failure..

Cheers, Henny

E-Mail: Henny.Bekker@cc.ruu.nl    ! Disclaimer: The main obstacle to progress
http    http://www.ruu.nl/~henny  !             progress is not ignorance,but
PTT:    Voice: +31 30 2536971 Fax: +31 30 2531633 ! the illusion of knowledge
X400:   /G=Henny/S=Bekker/OU=cc/O=ruu/PRMD=surf/ADMD=400net/C=nl         o
Paper:  H.J.Bekker, Utrecht University, Computer Centre              _  /- _
        Po Box 80011, 3508 TA  Utrecht  Nederland                   (_) > (_)