Re: accelerator options

From: Natchu Vishnu Priya <vishnu@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 14:29:57 +0530 (IST)

On Thu, 6 Mar 1997, Miguel A.L. Paraz wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Natchu Vishnu Priya wrote:
> > What I would like to do is point all my webserver names to a single IP
> > which would be a httpd accelerator, and which uses the Host header in the
> > HTTP request and then connect to the correct host to fetch the page.
>
> I think it would go something like this - turn on
> httpd_accel_uses_host_header, then use a Redirector to rewrite the
> URLs into the real requests. I'm not sure if the rewriter will actually
> take the Host: value as the input URL, though.

yeah.. tried this one.. but the rewriter does not take the Host: value...

figured another way of doing it.. a split dns is the best way to handle
it.. with the external dns pointing to my accelerator and the internal to
the real host..
also keeps the local traffic off the accelerator... all fine..
but I have a place where I cannot put in a split dns.. so I was looking to
do the same (split dns..) without the hassle..

So one way I did implement split dns for a single host..(i.e. where all
other hosts think a certain name is one IP Address this one thinks
something else..) so I put the new entires in /etc/hosts and set my resolv
order to hosts, and then bind.

Well the dnsservers don't seem to look at the /etc/host.conf or the
svc.conf or stuff like that...

Me thinks it might be useful if the dnsservers include this in the code..

While it might not be useful always.. it can be helpfull in places like
this...
Whats the opinion about this..

vishnu