Re: Cacheing encrypted objects

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 97 19:12:39 -0800

david@avarice.nepean.uws.edu.au writes:

>> stock quote. But what if you want to buy a magazine or video ?
>> The object may be both large and popular, and thus benefit from cacheing.
>
>Duane will no doubt correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't this have been a
>job for the "replication" part of the old Harvest project? Maybe if the
>modular Squid idea goes ahead, a "replication" module (+ associated
>standards?) will appear to handle these sorts of "mirroring" type
>operations...

The Harvest replicator was intendted to handle "massive" replication
groups, with hundreds of members. The actual transfer of data
was done with good ol' ftp-mirror. The smarts of the software was
this peice called topologyd or floodd. That is what dynamically
arranged all the group members in a hierarhcy to optimize
the distribution.

Duane W.