Re: Files descriptors

From: Michael O'Reilly <michael@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 09:21:56 +0800

> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 23:32:50 +0530 (IST)
> From: Natchu Vishnu Priya <vishnu@brahma.iitm.ernet.in>
> To: Horacio Diaz Requejo <horacio@xalapa.lania.mx>
> cc: squid-users@nlanr.net
> Subject: Re: Files descriptors
>
> On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Horacio Diaz Requejo wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> >
> > I'm running squid 1.NOVM.8 on a Linux box 1.3.77. The default
> > number of file descriptors are 256, and i have many problems with
> > the system because all transactions are store into files. I can't
> > use virtual memory because my box only have 32 Mb and the system
> > going down every hour.
> >
> > I would like to know if it's posible increment the file descriptors
> > number in the kernel ??
> Pick up this new patch to increase the number of FD.. will go upto 4K I
> think and more.. puts the buffers on stack.
> pull from http://www.cs.iitm.ernet.in/~vishnu/fd.patch

Umm. That's OFF the stack. The kernel stack is limited to 4K in
linux. That patch (which I wrote) uses malloc()'ed ram to hold the
fd_set's for select. The upper limit is around 500,000 file
descriptors. You'll run into other problems long per you reach that..

You also need a fair bit of ram. I'm not sure that 32 meg is going to
cut it.

Note also that squid NOVM uses LOTS of file descriptors. I had a squid
compiled with 3000 file desc's per process, and squid NOVM was running
out taking only 35,000 TCP's/hour through it.

Michael.