Re: Squid cache and HPUX LVM anyone ?

From: Lars-Owe Ivarsson <lars-owe.ivarsson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 97 14:21:20 +0100

> >Hi list
> >
> >thinking to enlarge our squid cache size, I plan to use
> >the hpux LVM facility to manage the cache disk space.
> >anyone has experience with ?
>
> (CC'ed to squid-users)
>
> As I mentioned earlier on this list, I would have to say that HP's LVM's
> are the easiest, and most intuative of all disk managing tools. In
> your case, I would set up a -very- large directory structure, which
> will cater to your future expansion. When you buy some more disks, you
> just need to add it to the volume group, and with sam, select 'actions' and
> then 'enlarge file system' -- it'll do all the work for you.. It does
> need to unmount the file system, however, so you will need to stop squid
> from running. It would also be unwise to put anything else on the
> file system.
>
> --Rob

To enlarge file systems on the fly without unmounting them first, just like we
always do on other unixes, you must purchase the OnLineJFS add-on to HP-UX. I
think that it should have been included in the first place. HP marketing
doesn't agree with me on this though.

      HP OnLineJFS HP 9000 Workstation License
      Must order one license-to-use for each
      HP 9000 Workstation that will require
      HP OnLineJFS features

     B5118AA

        Description
       HP OnLineJFS Media HP 9000 Workstations
       Select a media option to receive
       HP OnLineJFS (AAH, AAU, 0D1). Order
       a license for each HP 9000 Workstation
       that requires HP OnLineJFS
       functionality, B5118AA.

     B5117AA #AAU

Lars-Owe

\_\ snailmail: Lars-Owe Ivarsson     | email: lars-owe.ivarsson@its.uu.se  \
  |  office: Uppsala univ., ITS      | phone: work:   018 18 78 70         |
  |   P.O. Box 887; 751 08  UPPSALA  |       home:     0224 930 55         |
  |  home: Håcksby; 744 92 HEBY      |        int:  +46 224 930 55         |
  |  for both: SWEDEN                |        fax:    018 18 77 25         |
  \ \    (approximately 1300 kilometers northeast of Brussels)               \