Proxy authentication via ACL's

From: Arjan de Vet <Arjan.deVet@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 01:14:44 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <Pine.OSF.3.92.970401150600.20239B-100000@pigeon.qut.edu.au> you write:

>I am David Richards from the Queensland University of Technology,
>Australia. I am currently involved in a project that requires a
>proxy/cache server that will authenticate with a username and password.
>Also needed is for this information to be logged.
>
>I am enquiring as to whether this type of access control is going to be
>implemented into Squid. Is anyone working on it it?

There is already proxy authentication in Squid, but not very flexible. I'm
currently rewriting the proxy authentication code so that you can use
proxy authentication as normal ACL's which gives you all kinds of extra
flexibility when combining this with other ACL's.

Here's how you can require username/password for access to sites outside
the Netherlands (*.nl) but not for sites in the Netherlands:

        acl password proxy_auth /usr/local/etc/passwd
        acl mycountry dstdomain nl
        http_access allow mycountry
        http_access allow !mycountry password
        http_access deny all

I hope to have a patch available for testing within a week.

Arjan