Re: unlinkd ??

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 11:27:37 +0200

Steve Judge writes:
> Hello,
> I just installed 1.1.9 yesterday and its running ok but i was
> wondering what the unlinkd line is for in the cachemgr interface now.
> Cache information for squid:
> Storage Swap size: 2168 MB
> Storage Mem size: 12201 KB
> Storage LRU Expiration Age: 31.82 days
> Requests given to unlinkd: 905
> Unused fileno stack count: 2
> Which i also have a new process running on my linux system now as well as
> (unlinkd)
> Could someone enlighten me as to what it is please ??
When you call "unlink" it is a "blocking" system call... The cache sits
and does nothing while the file is removed (this can take a while, if the
directory the file is in is full... Try "cd /var/spool/mail;ls" some time
and you will see a pause before the files start to list - assuming
a big mail server...)

So what happens is there is an external program which goes around and
deletes files, which basically takes up this slack time, and squid says:
"delete file x, y and z" and the unlinkd goes and does it, while
squid continues happily.

Regards
Oskar