Re: a question on heirarchy

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 12:43:25 -0500 (CDT)

> i have a server named "A" and another named "B". they have the same
> alias/nickname which is "proxy". SQUID is executing in both server. i had

Do you mean you have given the DNS name "proxy" two IP addresses, or
something else? I'm not even sure its legal to do multi-homing
with CNAMEs which is what I infer from your statement.

> in that way, once a client has queried our proxy server named "proxy" in their
> squid.conf, it would go to either A or B because they have the same
> nickname/alias, is this right?

If you've done it in the DNS, the behaviour is undefined and depends
on the behaviour and timeout periods of the clients DNS cache. There's
a good chance many clients will pick one server and stick with it.

If you're really unlucky, all your clients could pick the same
server. I'm not sure how well the PC IP stacks cope with multi-homed
hosts. I've noticed I can change the DNS address of a host, and
Windows machines don't pick up the new one at all until the PC is
rebooted!