Re: a question on heirarchy

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 1997 10:46:07 -0500 (CDT)

> Yup - dual DNS records are more of a load-sharing solution than a redundancy
> one. To provide redundancy, you require a patched DNS that checks the
> availability (and load?) of the hosts, and only provides DNS entries for the
> ones that are available. I have trialed such a patch to named-4.9.xx in the
> past (sorry, too long ago to remember) and it was too flakey for me to go
> with - but certainly worked in principle...

It doesn't work in principle! If a distant client does a DNS lookup,
butthe path between that client and host A is broken, he can still get host A
returned from the DNS server because *it* can see host A by another route.

This is a big issue when attempting to dual-home web sites :-(

There's no good solution except for clients to do their own testing
of all the addresses, and I don't think many of them (any???) do
that.