Squid Questions!!

From: TBRIGLIA.US.ORACLE.COM <TBRIGLIA@dont-contact.us>
Date: 16 Apr 97 16:41:25 -0700

Hello,

I wrote a few weeks ago, yet no replies. I have now have a few questions that
might be easier for one of you to answer.

My objective is to use a Squid cache as a front end for two web servers that
have identical content. Ideally Squid would act kind of like a load balancer
between the two systems. At this point though one of the systems though is
more powerful, so I wanted it to be favored.

After reading all the Squid docs I have seen that there are hooks for a
redirector program. I imagine if I were really good at Pearl programming and
knew how to extract ICMP data from the "Network Probe Database" I could write
a redirector that might rewrite URLs to the fastest responding system, yet
unfortunately I'm not a Pearl guy, and the info I have on the "Network Probe
Database" is pretty limited. If anyone can supply some help here, it would be
appreciated!

The Squid.conf file has the "Neighbor Selection Algorithm" which allows you to
"weight" parents. My first question, is that if you have 2 parents defined,
one with a heavier weight, if the heavy weight parent does not end up
responding does Squid then forward the request to the parent with the lower
weight?

Next question, can the parent caches be HTTP Accelerator caches? So what I'm
getting at is this, a request comes into the Squid cache and misses. Squid
then forwards the request to the heavy weight parent. The heavy weight parent
does not have the object cached, so it then forwards the request to the HTTP
server it is configured to "accelerate" for.

Hopefully if I get the desired answers to these questions, the end result will
be that I have one Squid cache that acts as a front end serving all the
cacheable objects, and then forwards "misses" to the parent Accelerator caches
based on the parents weights.

Hopefully there is someone out there on these email lists that can shed some
light on this stuff. In the end anything I learn, develop, or discover, I will
write it up and forward it on to the Squid community.

Thanks in advance!!!

Regards,

Thomas D. Briglia voice:415-506-8212 pager:1-800-6-PAGEME
Internal Systems Engineering Services
Oracle World Wide Customer Support Viva BSD!!!