(no subject)

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:14:30 -0500 (CDT)

When I linked to it.cache.nlanr.net I configured it as a sibling.

Is this the right thing to do? It occurred to me that since the
national caches only have other caches connecting to them, not
end users, then if their connections are all siblings they would
never fetch any pages! So I presume at least *some* of the
connections to the national caches treat them as parents.

In that case, should I be doing so as well?

Am I right in assuming that if the parent cache is down,
my requests will go to the host web site directly, so it's
a no-lose situation?

I realise I will have to tell my cache the domain names
of all the sites it might access that are closer to me than
it.cache is, but is it a close enough approximation just
to list my own domains for direct access and not worry
about sites on the net between me and it.cache?

Graham