Re: 1.1.9 <--> NOVM 1.1.9?

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 13:16:52 +0200

Markus Storm writes:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 1997, Garry Glendown wrote:
>
> > Markus Hofmann wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > Can anyone tell me what's the difference between the normal squid-version
> > > and the novm-version of squid?
> >
> > If I remember what I read in the Readme, the NOVM uses less RAM, but
> > disk files instead (I suppose the name means "No Volatile/Virtual
> > Memory"). It uses more fd, though ...
>
> Can anyone comment on performance differences ? Is NOVM as fast as
> "VM" if using it for a background cache (i.e. no direct clients ?)
There are no real tests that I know of. We could try do a test between
multiple servers on a clean ethernet with Webstone. It's most likely to
give us accurate results (I don't know of any other such systems):
http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebStone/
http://www.sgi.com/Products/WebFORCE/WebStone/FAQ-webstone.html

Oskar