Re:can't load squid 1.1.19 on boot

From: RICARD BERNAT <RICBER@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 20:10:10 +0100

Hi all,

Last friday I was in the same point than Terry J. Wood, my system
hangs when I start squid from rc.local.

Today, I query to my local U*ix guru, and he propose me this
modification into rc.local file:

# starting Squid proxy/cache
if [ -f /usr/local/squid/bin/squid ]
then
 echo "Starting Proxy"
 nohup /usr/local/squid/bin/squid &
fi

with nohup command, the execution becomes inmune to hangup and
with the & specification the process keeps running in background (non-
tty). It seems to run ok and no troubles at this time.

BTW, the system creates a new file named $HOME/nohup.out. (I explain
this because I'm very new in U*ix environment and all that tricks are
very strange for me :-)) )

I'll try to report any inconveniences in the next 48 hours.

Have a nice day!

Ricardo

Ricard Bernat Martinez-Hidalgo Tel: +34-3-2274713
Instituto Universitario Dexeus Fax: +34-3-4187832
Paseo Bonanova, 75
E-08017 Barcelona Email Coordinator (Postmaster)

            Internet: ricber@iudexeus.uab.es