Re: pop proxy

From: Graham Toal <gtoal@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 1997 14:15:41 -0500 (CDT)

> we need a decent pop proxy. many win95 machines, through one proxy
> machine, over isdn etc, to a bsdi machine where the pop mail is stored.
> any ideas?
>
> have not seen any mention that squid will proxy anything but www, ftp etc...

You'll get more info on generic proxies on the firewalls list.

Although for pop a generic tcp gateway (eg TIS firewall toolkit,
but also many many others) is good enough, have you considered
actually running a real pop server on the proxy machine and just
forwarding the mail there from the machine that accepts it? That's
what I ended up doing and the performance was much better and it
reduced the load on the mail server.