Re: virtual hosting using host: header, single IP

From: Stefan Monnier <monnier+/news/lists/squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: 06 May 1997 12:50:14 -0400

Graham Toal <gtoal@vt.com> writes:
> Can squid do the new style of virtual hosting, whereby you give a user
> a CNAME alias to a web site, and the web site looks at the "Host:"
> header supplied by the browser, and rewrites an address in the style
> of http://www.user.site.com/... into something like www.site.com/~user/...

The http server doesn't necessarily rewrite it in this way. It might serve a
totally different area (the liawww.epfl.ch server can be accessed as
liaftp.epfl.ch (both CNAMEs for liasun6.epfl.ch) and the http server will then
serve the FTP area (also available through the wuftpd server, of course)).

It already works across squid (and I believe it also works across Netscape's
proxy)

> I suspect this has to be done in the generic rewriting external
> program. Are any extensions needed or are all the hooks there? Before
> I write one, has anyone done it already?

What exactly are you trying to do ?

        Stefan