Memory usage and the differences between VM/NOVM

From: Nigel Metheringham <Nigel.Metheringham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 May 1997 10:55:58 +0100

I'm just trying to clarify my understanding of what the differences are
between the vanilla and NOVM versions of squid and the expected memory
usage of each variant.

As I understand it the basic difference is that transient objects are
held/cached in memory for Squid/vanilla and used/written directly from/to
disk for Squid/NOVM.

However for both versions the cache index is held in memory - taking
approximately 100 bytes per entry.

The cache_mem parameter for the vanilla system configures the memory
available as a transient object store, and does not have anything to do
with the index storeage.

Are these understandings correct... or have I misunderstood the memory
usage of the 2 squids?

Thanks
        Nigel.

--
[ Nigel.Metheringham@theplanet.net   -  Systems Software Engineer ]
[ Tel : +44 113 251 6012                   Fax : +44 113 224 0003 ]