Re: That 5% that doesn't send Host: headers ...

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 May 1997 00:43:59 +0200

Well.. Host: header is actually a HTTP 1.1 thingy.. and there are quite
a number of HTTP 1.0 clients out there..

But is is quite easy to set up virtual servers that don't require the
Host: header, but make use of it if it is available.

How:
Have all servers sharing a single IP in the same base URL tree, and set
up each virtual server homepage to point to the right area. On your
default server, write a small page that lists all the different servers
that you host (linked to their "true" homepages).

Example:
IP: server.abcd.com
Virtual names: www.abcd.com, www.efgh.com, www.ijkl.com

Directory tree:
/ Base directory
/abcd Pages for site "www.abcd.com"
/efgh Pages for site "www.efgh.com"
/ijkl Pages for site "www.ijkl.com"

/index.html Lists the different areas, with links to
                        http://www.abcd.com/abcd/
                        http://www.efgh.com/efgh/
                        and
                        http://www.ijkl.com/ijkl/
/abcd/index.html Home page for "www.abcd.com"
/efgh/index.html Home page for "www.efgh.com"
/ijkl/index.html Home page for "www.ijkl.com"

The base server (server.abcd.com) then has the whole URL tree mapped.
Each virtual server only requires their part of the tree mapped, and a
redirect of / to /abcd/ (and so on for the other servers).