how to experiment using a parent?

From: Marc Delisle <DelislMa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 14:32:34 -0400

Hello squidders,

I read this in the FAQ:
--------------
If you would like to experiment with using a parent cache, please feel
free to use squid.nlanr.net:

    cache_host squid.nlanr.net parent 3128 3130
--------------

I modified squid.conf at various places and now my cachemgr says:

Parent : squid.nlanr.net/3128/3130
AVG RTT : 181 msec
ACK DEFICIT: 0
PINGS SENT : 547
PINGS ACKED: 513 94%
IGNORED : 15 3%
Histogram of PINGS ACKED:
ICP_HIT : 88 17%
ICP_MISS : 425 83%
FETCHES : 498 97%
DOMAIN LIST:

I would like to know if this means that I get some HITs from my parent?
And shouldn't I see some UDP_something and FIRST_UP_PARENT messages in
my access.log file?

How can I actually test my parent and see if it works?

--
Marc Delisle
Service Informatique