Re: SQUID 1.1.9 config

From: Mike Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 09:46:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 May 1997, David Richards wrote:

> www.msn.com (Microsoft Network) always forces a refresh for some
> reason.....oh well, such is life at Microsoft. :-)

I ran into this about six months ago while I was running the CERN proxy
software. Apparently the expiration times are set low on certain key
pages so that they can support the "custom home page" feature that they
offer. Otherwise, person A's custom "www.microsoft.com" page might get
cached, and person B, a few minutes later, when they go looking for their
own custom home page, would retrieve person A's custom home page from the
cache instead.

This was, of course, before Microsoft invented the "Expires:" HTML
header... ;-) I had to write in a specific exception for "*.microsoft.com"
to prevent the pages from caching so that personal home pages would work
right.

        -Mike Pelletier.