Re: Squid response is sluggish

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 May 97 10:26:34 +0200

On Thursday 22 May 97, at 15 h 4, the keyboard of Brian Rankin
<brankin@wested.org> wrote:

> Hard drive, 100+ light users). The system seems fairly sluggish;
> sometimes it takes anywhere from 10 seconds to 1 minute to get a response
> to a _cached_ page (I confirm this by watching access.log).
>
> Are there any parameters I can set to make Squid respond faster?

Not blindly. You should first use cache manager's "info" to have a
general idea of Squid's behaviour, use "ps -aux", "vmstat 300" and "free"
to get an idea of memory use (Squid's main problem), try to copy huge
files from/to the cache directory to see if the disk bandwidth is the
limiting factor, try to copy huge files from/to the network to see if the
cable is the limiting factor, etc.

"Tuning is long and painful, but the result is worthy" (Mao ZeDong?
Confucius?)