Re: How to add another HD

From: Cord Beermann <cord@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 May 1997 15:40:56 +0200 (MET DST)

Hallo! Du (Gareth Blades) hast geschrieben:

>> I am currently running squid 1.1.8 under Linux, and it's been running smooth and fine for weeks now. Next week, I'm going to upgrade the system from 4 to 8 gig by adding another HD (and memory from 9>
>> BUT: How am I going to add this second HD without loosing my 280 thousand cache entries? Is there some upgrade script or configuration option available? Did I miss something in the docs?
>>
>> Currently, I'm using the standard setup regarding the cache directory structure, and I have the data harddisk mounted on a subdir /harddisk1. Next week, there will be another mountpoint /harddisk2, a>
>> ===========
>> PLEASE help, I need this Information urgently. THANKS!
>> ===========
>
>Just add the second mount point to the list of cache dirs and squid
>will distribute the data automatically.

and i think you have a problem if you do this...

Squid gives internal numbers to the stored objects (you can see them
in the log file usually located in your first cache_dir)

If you put a second cache_dir in i expect that squid thinks one half
of the objects is in the first dir and the other half is in the
second dir.

So you loose the half of your objects, and the other half is stuck
on your first (old) dir and squid doesn't know that they are there
so it steals you space on your disk for nothing (or is there a
routine in that deletes this type of stuck objects?! Never tried
this.)

So you can think about striping your disk together so that they seem
to squid like a bigger new disk (and put your backupped cacheobjects
on it after that)

Another possibility could be that you run two squids, an old which
looks at your old cache and serves your new server as neighbor for a
week or two.

Or (my favourite ;-) you write a script which converts your old
cache to your new configuration and give the script to the
Squid-users-List ;-)

Cord

--
Cord Beermann        http://home.pages.de/~cord/