Re: :-) Squid as a Load Balancer, . . . Yes!

From: Metod Kozelj <metod.kozelj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 May 1997 18:59:18 +0200

Hello,

I'm following your posts to squid-users mailing list about building a
'load-balancer':

> If I can find a way for the redirector process to dynamically
> load in the prefered load template w/o a SIGHUP, then Squid
> will make an excellent load balancer.

I'm not exactly sure what you did by now, but I suppose that you're
trying to use squid's ability to run external redirectors.

I've written a tiny redirector in C, that (when started) reads the rules
from an ASCII file. Now, the redirector could reread the config file
every now and then (say every 30 seconds or every 500 replies, whichever
is sooner). So you would run some external script that would decide
which real server should be used and change the contents of the
redirector's configuration file.

If the list of rules is not too long (and I guess that you only have one
rule), then it would not take too long to reconfigure the redirector.

Just a thought.

Regards,

--
Metod Kozelj