System Load Questions

From: Jeff Halper <squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 May 1997 08:34:24 -0700 (PDT)

I'm running Squid 1.1.10 on a Pentium 133, 128 megs ram, 4 gig Fast Wide
Scsi, PCI 3-com card, red hat linux 2.0.27.

The server is used for my secondary DNS and squid - nothing else.

2 questions:

1) Can I get the squid server to use the secondary dns (on it's own
machine) rather than go to my primary DNS (on a different machine)

2) I chose the easy simple automatic setup - it works great - now I'm
wondering if I need to refine it any? It set 5 dns servers by default -
should I use more? Instructions say I could use as many as 32 - but I've
been running "top" and rarely see even 2 of them being used. I set
cache_mem to 30 - and cache_swap to 3000 - were these good choices?

3) How many simultaneous connections should I be able to maintain with
this setup? 100? 200?

Jeff Halper
Internet Hotline
408/881-1000