Re: proxy picture confusion (fwd)

From: Stephan Dresen (Sys. Admin.) <dresen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:37:23 +0200 (MET DST)

 Hi,

 a few days ago we have observed a strange error produced by a
 German proxy network between Xlink (a commercial provider)
 and universities (e.g. Uni Karlsruhe). They are all using Squid proxies
 with different versions. Sometimes these proxies returned wrong
 images, resulting in strange views like naked women on the Mercedes
 Benz homepage etc.; at first, we thought someone might have broken
 into the server, but as we know the administrator there we're now
 pretty sure that wasn't the case, and we also have observed the
 phenomenon with other sites.
 A crude fact is no hacker has broken into the proxies either.
 Maybe these permutation of images is an old bug. But we weren't able to
 find any information about this on the web.
 We are writing an article about these "phantom" pictures for a computer
 magazine. Maybe someone on this list can provide some information
 this issue?

 Thanks in advance,

 Please write to: dresen@dpunkt.de

 Bye