Re: Fernando Caba's question

From: Bernd P. Ziller <bziller@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1997 08:00:24 +0200 (METDST)

> From: Henny Bekker <H.Bekker@cc.ruu.nl>

> > When you hit reload, Netscape adds a "no-cache" tag to the request, saying
> > it wants the original page, not the version cached on any intermediate
> > proxy.
> Not entirely true... Only when you do a Forced Reload (pressing SHIFT while
> clicking Reload in netscape) it will add a Pragma: no-cache. If you press
> just "Reload", the caching server will get it with a "If-Modified-Since Get"
> (result-code 304)

Sorry, Henny, but I think Anthony is right here.

I clicked on Reload and my netscape send this to squid:

GET http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/ HTTP/1.0
If-Modified-Since: Tuesday, 20-May-97 14:52:47 GMT; length=2880
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache
Host: squid.nlanr.net
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

While holding SHIFT and clicking it send this:

GET http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/ HTTP/1.0
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache
Host: squid.nlanr.net
Accept: image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*

Both times there where Pragma: no-cache.
I've checked the Mozilla/4.0b5 SM-Win95, too, and it's just the same
there, except that it also reloads the images.

Regards,

--
   Bernd                  bziller@ba-stuttgart.de
      http://www.ba-stuttgart.de/~bziller/