Re: no proxy for

From: Kip DeGraaf <kip@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 1997 01:49:22 -0400

At 03:16 PM 6/13/97 +1000, Malcolm B.J. Garbutt wrote:
>On Fri, 13 Jun 1997, David Richards wrote:
>
>> Yes there is!! There is heaps of ways to do it. You can use the
>> cache_stoplist or the cache_stoplist_pattern tags. But, the easiest way
>> to do this task for your purpose is to set the local_domain tag to your
>> local domain.
>>
>I have read this many times and what it really says from the conf file is
>that if you specify domain or local ip then it will fetch from them
>direct and not from a parent or sibling, note the "FETCH", ,,,squid will
>fetch direct, not the browser :-)

This is not the job of Squid to be deciding if your browser should go get
it direct. After all, your browser has already contacted the Squid cache
to ask about the object. Squid naturally serves it up one way or the other.

I believe what you are looking for is the Netscape Automatic Proxy
Configuration feature in their browsers (Microsoft Internet Explorer
supports this now also I believe.) You can see how Netscape describes it
at http://home.netscape.com/eng/mozilla/2.0/relnotes/demo/proxy-live.html

Basically you can set this file up to tell your browser before it even
thinks of talking to a Squid cache to skip it and go directly to web sites
that are local to your machine.