Advice : when do I need to upgrade

From: Mario de Mello Bittencourt Neto <mneto@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 1997 11:04:47 -0500 (AST)

Hi squiders,

  In the last couple of weeks we have read a lot of posts to this list
with tips to increase performance in a squid based proxy system.

  We have also read some tips/hack in linux code to make the system ready
for hi traffic caches.

  I would like to know if there are any unix/linux based tools to analyze
my system (mem/hd) and check if the time to upgrade has already come or is
coming closer..

  I run one cache in a 64 MB P166 Linux box and so far free/uptime/top
have been the only tools that I have used. Uptime does not show any of
the numbers above 1 (curently load average: 0.07, 0.05, 0.01) and free
shows 30Mb buffered and 0 (or almost) swap space used (output shown
bellow).

  Perhaps it is ok now, but would be great to know that the system needs
upgrade before it reaches the 'almost unusable state'.

  Regards,

     Mario de Mello B. Neto.

Free :
             total used free shared buffers cached