Re: Monitoring Squid with MRTG (nice graphics)

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 97 18:25:37 +0200

On Thursday 3 July 97, at 14 h 33, the keyboard of Andy Lee
<andrew.lee@research.natpower.co.uk> wrote:

> How can I get the stats to plot both actual bandwidth usage and bandwidth
> saving
> (by virtue of using squid) ?

Plotting the actual throughput of the network interface (through regular
SNMP/MRTG) is a good start if the machine is dedicated to Web caching:
"In" packets are Web pages retrieved on the network, "Out" packets are
client servicing. The larger (Out-In) is, the more efficient your cache
is.

See http://cache.cnrs.fr/MRTG/fddi.html for an example.

> My box running squid is seperate from the monitoring box.
> Do I need to have scripts fire off every five mins on the squid box to crunch

Use SNMP.