Re: How to tell that my cache is overloaded...

From: Oskar Pearson <oskar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 14:14:05 +0200 (GMT)

Hi

> > I wrote a timer patch (see http://www.IAEhv.nl/users/devet/squid/) which
>
> I highly recommend this patch (unfortunately, it doesn't apply cleanly on
> 1.1.9 and later, you have to do it by hand). I suggest the patch to be

hmm

gettimeofday(&start_tv, NULL);

This means that it's spending a lot of time getting the current time over
and over again... (Duane specifically tried to avoid this by using
a variable containing the current time (I think to the second or when
the last connection was made - my memory fails me) that functions can use
instead of doing hundreds of system calls...(which do slow things down...)

If anything it should be a config option - and not even call the
functions if it's not in the options... (don't call the function, figure
it's not in the option list and then immediately return...)

Oskar