Re: Cache server.

From: Jean-Francois Micouleau <Jean-Francois.Micouleau@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 07:58:28 +0200 (MET DST)

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Matt Isleb wrote:

> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Leigh Porter wrote:
>
> > Not being experianced with cache server demands, would this
> > be a good spec for a heavily used server to sit on a Global Network?
> >
> > MicroWay DEC Alpha "Screamer" Mboard
> > 500Mhz DEC Alpha CPU
> > 256Mb Ram
> > Adaptech 3940 UW Dual Channel SCSI Controller
> > 4 4.5Gb HDD's (One for /, logs, etc and 3 for cache spool)
> > Drives run at 5,400 RPM
> >
> > Does that general spec sound good?
>
> Talk about overkill! All that dedicated to cache?? What type of network?
> How many nodes simutaniosly served?
>
> Matt

        Stop this silly thread of big CPU. A big CPU is not needed for
SQUID. All you need is RAM. It's better to have too much ram than to have
a fast cpu. A swaping squid machine is totally useless.

When you set-up a cache it's to lower your network bandwidth. But people
always think about their connection to internet and forget their internal
network. I really think it's better to setup several small caches than a
big one.

: Jean Francois Micouleau : Email: jfm@utc.fr :
: Universite de : Tel : 03 44 23 47 78 :
: Technologie de : Service Informatique :
: Compiegne France : Division IRNM :