Re: request_size (squid configuration value)

From: Michael Alan Kozuch <kozuch@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 14:12:27 -0400 (EDT)

Ah yes. That makes sense. However, now I'm curious: is there a limit on
the size of cached objects?

As an example, the full version of ie4.0 appears to be 20MB, so that may
be a lower bound. However, accepting such a large file implies purging a
number of smaller files. Hence, we come upon a (possible) tradeoff
between hit rate (average client latency) and byte hit rate (network
load). Also, in an extreme case, an unsociable character would only need
to issue 500 requests for garbage files of this size to flush a 10GB
cache.

Thanks to Nigel for the answer below.

Mike