Re: URL coding : ftp passwords in clear!

From: Francis Mouthaud <intfmo@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 1997 16:03:52 +0200 (MET DST)

On Wed, 9 Jul 1997, Gregory Maxwell wrote:

> See, even they think it's not a security concern.. If a 'hacker' has
> access to the history file, or the access logs, then there are bigger
> problems to worry about...
>
> Obsecurity != Security. There is nothing secure about Telnet, HTTP, or
> FTP, provided you have a hacker with access to your local computer or your
> network. I really wish people would understand this. If you want security
> try HTTPS, SSL, and SSH. If there is a bug in one of those: Then you can
> through a fit. Otherwise, politly report the problem to the approiate
> place and relax, your security isn't being comprimised. FTP had no
> security to begin with.

I just think that the passwords should never be PRINTED on screen in
clear. So teams of netscape and squid should find a solution (together?)
to avoid such problems. Think about the newbies...

Francis (a dreamer...)

: Francis Mouthaud ^_^ Mailto:Mouthaud@freenet.fr :
| Ingenieur / http://www.freenet.fr/bluepatch |
: Office: 33 01-64-52-64-64 / Fax: 33 01-64-09-54-71 :