refresh patterns

From: Matt Isleb <kermit@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 11:41:51 -0500 (CDT)

I have been running a cache for a month or so now. I get an acceptable
hit rate of .40. I was wondering what the advantages are to having
custom refresh patterns. Is it just to avoid needing to contact the
original site for freshness info? I assume that is all it is for. Could
someone suggest a good set of refresh patterns to make for an efficient
cache. Just something not as conservative as the default but still safe.

THanks
Matt