Re: bytes saved in real-time

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 12:08:49 +0200

On Friday 11 July 97, at 10 h 31, the keyboard of Brandon Stirling
<brandons@uidaho.edu> wrote:

> My organization is using Squid to "Save the Bits" and I would like to
> display the real-time stats (5 minutes intervals) of the bytes saved. I
> The computer that hosts Squid also hosts an FTP server and a Web server
> (hopefully not for long though), so watching the traffic to and from the
> server won't work. I need to get the HIT bytes from Squid itself. This

I suggest the following:

1) Retrieve that information from the cache manager. url_get (or one of
its friends) can do it:

setenv http_proxy http://my.cache.domain:3128/
url_get -d cache_object://localhost/stats/utilization

2) Parse it (awk, perl) in a way suitable for MRTG.

3) Ask MRTG to display it. See <http://cache.cnrs.fr/MRTG/> for an
example.

And let us know the URL so we can admire it!