Re: Statistics about Squid

From: Michael Pelletier <mikep@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 12:31:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 18 Jul 1997, Pedro Lineu Orso wrote:

> I'm trying to convince my boss that we don't need to by a
> Netscape or Microsoft Proxy server, because Squid is great.
> Does anybody know how many people or companies are using Squid
> at the moment in the world ?
> Could you tell me why are you using Squid Proxy ?

Well, if you look at the cache registration list at
<http://proxy.comshare.com/cgi-bin/cachemgr.cgi>, you can get an idea of
how many Squid servers are registered, and there's more than that because
many Squid caches don't register.

As for why I run Squid -- it's a high-performance proxy server, with
features that are not offered by other caching proxy servers, such as the
ability to set up heirarchical relationships between caches. Thus not
only can I save my Internet link bandwidth, but also my internal WAN link
bandwidth.

Why waste the money on NT? You'd have to spend a thousand bucks on NT
server, plus more money on the features that UNIX has that NT doesn't
(remote access and administration), and deal with a buggy, release 1.0
product (Microsoft Proxy) that doesn't have half the capability of the
Squid proxy you're already running, and doesn't have the kind of
responsive, helpful development team that Squid has. (!!!THANKS!!! to
Duane Wessels!)

If you get FreeBSD and Squid, your only cost is the hardware and your
implementation time, which you'd spend anyway setting up (and *trying* to
"secure") NT and Microsoft Proxy. (No matter what Microsoft says, NT is
NOT Internet-secure out of the box.)

And instead of a thousand bucks on NT, spend a thousand bucks on UNIX
training if you're uncomfortable with UNIX.

Not to mention the source code that allows you to implement features
yourself, like I did with the connection-retry. If I'd had that problem
with Microsoft Proxy, I'd have been screwed until they offered to take
more of my money for version 2.0.

If anything, he should tell you why you should switch, instead of you
telling him why you shouldn't.

        -Mike Pelletier.