Re: problem with NT proxy

From: Mervyn Jack <mervynj@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 23:33:28 +1000 (EST)

On Fri, 25 Jul 1997, Klaus Schmidt wrote:

> When I try now to view per netscape a site in the internet with the
> help of squid, I only have a small peak of data transfer and after
> this nothing happens any more.

We had a similar experience when we changed our upstream provider. We
would get a little bit of data from NT web servers but no problem from
Linux servers. And telnetting to the ports of servers from our Cisco
routers would work fine but not from our Linux machine or Win95 clients.
The clue came when windows 3.1 users running Trumpet winsock with small
tcpMSS sizes had NO problems. The problem was caused by the upstream
provider's Ascend Max's sending a slightly larger packet size than it
should have. Their Tech's and Acend's tech's knew about it and after going
through days of getting duck shoved around and top tech was put on the
case and applied the patch to their Ascend max which fixed it. I'll point
out it was only a problem while doing 2 BRI bonding (128k)(or more
probably) that the problem shows up.

Maybe this is you problem, maybe not, but it was interesting.

Mervyn Jack, Technical Services, Country Netlink, Cobram, Vic, Australia.
Providing Internet access to the Cobram, Shepparton & Benalla local call
areas.
Phone 03 5871 1000 | Fax 03 5871 1874 | Mobile 019 438419
Work: http://www.cnl.com.au | Personal: http://www.cnl.com.au/~mervynj