watching HTTP headers

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 1997 10:10:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Fesgar math,

Did you ever wonder what kind of headers are *really* exchanged between
your new Netscape Communicator and any webserver? Or did you ponder why
Mosaic seems to be a trifle slow sometimes? A nifty little program
called webtee may give you the answer to those questions.

webtee is a filter program which acts like a proxy. It is designed to
duplicate the HTTP headers as they are exchanged by the various servers and
browser across the internet.

webtee could be installed anywhere in a cascade of proxies, but it cannot
become a browser. It can be installed in front of a real webserver acting
like the server and forward all requests to the real server. webtee logs
the exchanged headers into one logfile or separate logfiles for upstream
and downstream directions.

webtee is copyright to the Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed
Systems at the University of Hanover, Germany. Its idea was conceived
during the DFN caching project.

webtee is still considered alpha. I don't think that it can be used
successfully near the top node of a proxy hierarchie, nor in front of a
busy server. Complyance to various HTTP versions leaves something to be
desired, too. It seems to work properly with HTTP 0.9 and 1.0, but I have
no inkling about 1.1. Nevertheless, I believe it might help you the way it
helped us. Binaries for Solaris (Sparc and x86), Linux, HP-UX, Sinix, AIX
(PPC only) and IRIX are supplied, but the source got more recent spelling
fixes. Further information can be obtained at our website:

#ifndef GERMAN
        http://www-cache.dfn.de/CacheEN/Software_webtee.html
#else
        http://www-cache.dfn.de/Cache/Software_webtee.html