Re: Downloading huge files.

From: Stephen Darragh <stephen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 1997 19:22:29 +0800 (WST)

Have a look at rredir in the contrib directory of the source
distribution. It's even mentioned in the release notes. :)

> I'm wondering if it's possible to make insert something into the squid.conf
> so that when someone requests {http,ftp}://<whatever>/netscape.exe (or
> whatever) that I can point it to a local file I've previously downloaded?
>
> I've got a lot of users that want to keep up with the latest of everything
> and by the time they try to get it it'sout of the cache - I know of the
> refresh_patterns, but that's not exactly what I'm after.
>
> On another note - I've got a parent and a couple of neighbours set up that
> are working fine. What I'd like to know is how to stop FTP get requests in
> particular to the parent. If the parent has the FTP file, fine, let's get
> it from them - but if they don't, let's get it direct (a bit like an ICP
> only request for ftp://).

Currently there's no "neighbor_type_acl" option... The only way I can
think of that might work is, if the cache has two or more IP addresses
(and is actually listening on them,) specify one as parent and the
other as sibling, then use cache_host_acl with a url_regex type acl
to make sure all the ftp requests go to the sibling cache.

... Stephen