Squid's Logs

From: Kate Patterson <kate@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 05 Aug 1997 10:33:36 +0100

I am trying to simulate the behaviour of the cache (Squid 1.1.8) by
monitoring the log files, specifically to record when objects enter and
leave the cache.

Can anyone tell me where I can find out more information about the
fields in Squid logs? I've looked in the FAQs and release notes, but can
only find out some stuff about the access logs. What I want to know is:

1. From the access.log is there any way to see if the object *will*
actually be cached (I have log_mime_headers on, http emulated),

2. The TCP_CLIENT_REFRESH : what is a "no-cache" pragma - that the
object must not be cached? I see in the log files these are either
TIMEOUT_DIRECT or DIRECT - what does this mean?

3. What is the relevance of the fields in the store.log - I presume
"release" means it's purged from the cache and swapin/out refers to
virtual memory(?) but how does it record when an object first enters the
cache?

4. What are all the other fields in the store.log?

Any pointers gratefully received.

Thanks

Kate