Re: Squid getting slow - Possible solution??

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 97 14:41:41 -0700

squid@ihot.com writes:

>I had several complaints over the last few days that my Squid was acting
>very sluggish.
>
>I decided to "turn off" my parent caches - was using SV and SD
>
>Seems like it speeded back up again - any ideas why it was going slow
>with SV and SD?

Yes. These are a result of recent attempts to upgrade the
machine memory to 512 MB.

SD has been taken out of commission because during the upgrade
process we managed to actually destroy some of the existing SIMMs.
SD can been aliased to tirana.nlanr.net with a DNS CNAME entry.
You may want to remove it from your configuration.

Similarly, the upgrade to SV was attempted, and we first thought that
it was successful. However, the additional memory was in fact not
recognized. Meanwhile, we changed the configuration so that Squid
would use more memory, and I didn't catch this incredibly stupid error
until late last night. SV is now back to its previous configuration
and we're still scratching our heads.

Of our six caches, only three of them have been successfully upgraded.
It seems that either 1) it is extremely difficult to install the new
memory, or 2) we were sent crappy SIMMs.

FYI, http://ircache.nlanr.net/Cache/status.html will be where we
document these sorts of events from now on.

Duane W.

--
wessels@nlanr.net                           Think Globally, Cache Locally.