RE: Forcing MSIE to re-authenticate with proxy each time it starts

From: Armistead, Jason <ARMISTEJ@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 1997 20:29:01 -0400

Thanks David for your reply

The considerations are as follows:

1. Yes. ACLs with time values could be used to block after hours access,
but we're serving presently as a cache for the whole of our Australian
WAN (remote sites don't have hardware for a cache - yet). That doesn't
help with preventing cached passwords during normal work time though.

2. Since we're not running internal DNS yet, and since there is an
upstream proxy that goes through the firewall to the Internet proper,
users turning the proxy off couldn't get anywhere at all. We can always
force our local Cisco router to only accept packets destined for the
upstream proxy/firewall that come from our cache and Intranet web
servers, and not from any old PC. Probably also a similar approach from
the upstream proxy configuration too.

Besides, our users are not that sophisticated that they could work it
out for themselves. We don't divulge the upstream proxy IP address to
anyone.

3. Using Netscape is not an option when compared with what amounts to
being "freeware" in the form of MSIE. Netscape is only used on our Unix
workstations, because of the lack of a Microsoft product (and because we
do have license for that many users....)

Regards

Jason Armistead
armistej@oeca.otis.com