Re: Slow name lookups on non existant hosts

From: <andrew@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 15:32:51 +1000 (EST)

Hi,

I think I have found the problem. I have source ping turned on and a 2
second timeout for peers and one parent.

The parent isnt perfectly reliable which is why we have the 2 second
timeout and source ping...so we dont get clogged up if they are having
problems. The parent is peering with a number of other proxies.

If a browser asks our server for www.hfghfghgf.com squid will try and get
it from our parent. If they are fast enough then squid wont do its own
name lookup. Our parent may decide to pass the request on to one of its
parents and therefore not do its own name lookup. After at least three (if
not more) proxy servers someone does a name lookup and finds the host
dosnt exist.

To solve this I need to get squid to lookup the host before passing the
query on...or perhaps I should make the parent a sibling and only get a
page if it already has it. This is probably better for us but worse for
all the other users of our parent proxy (as that proxy will ahve cached
less).

Any comments?

Thanks,

Andrew